We click in the four wheel drive and traverse the long, winding, uphill, snow-covered gravel driveway. The truck climbing effortlessly like a mountain goat. About half-way up I turn my head to the right, the elevation gain has revealed the area's beauty. Distant rays of sun on an otherwise overcast day back-lit the white peaks. We continue climbing and circle 'round to our parking spot - we've arrived at the bungalow we rented for a two night escape. 20 acres and views in all directions. Practically heaven to us.
A fresh dumping of snow that morning - probably almost a foot on the ground now. It blankets everything beautifully. We brew a pot of coffee and as the aroma fills the bungalow, we sink in to our newly established favorite spots. Mine is the window seat. I've always had a love of window seats. There's not a much better place to get lost in your thoughts. Ben claims the leather chair. The hillside across the way captures our attention. The yellow needles of the western larch pop out of the surrounding evergreens in a magnificent way. As dusk settles in, so do we.
The next morning greets us with more coffee, warmer temperatures, three deer right outside our window, and borrowed snowshoes. We explore the "backyard", kids and dog in tow. The bottom quarter of our jeans peppered white with each step we take. Ben spots a deer, we all freeze to get the best possible look. A little further along the neighbors horses and cattle come to greet us at the fence. The boys are fascinated with the up close views (and so am I). To the left is Dominion Mountain, it looms tall above us as we are nearly at it's base. It just feels like the country out here and we soak it all in. Nap time beckons us to the hot tub. With towels wrapped around our shoulders and big 'ol winter boots slipped on our feet, we clunkily make our way to the 103° water. For 45 minutes, we just relax, cherish the moments of quiet. Ben, with his nearly perfect vision, spots a buck charging down the hillside across the road. As late afternoon turns to evening, homemade chili, garnished with lots of cheese, and cornbread for dipping seems an appropriate meal. The gas stove keeps us warm as all four of us snuggle up on the day bed to read Goodnight Moon, Kiss Goodnight, Sam, and I Love You Through and Through before tucking the boys into bed. A glass of wine and a few games of Checkers - we weren't too far behind our boys. Outside, the strong winds have all of the wind chimes singing and when Ben steps out, the howl of a nearby pack of coyotes fills the air.We purposely sleep with all of the blinds open in the loft. The snow makes it seem as light as day outside and the views are still gorgeous.
Scones! It's almost as if she had known that I was wondering if there was a good bakery in town. Homemade, fresh, warm, chocolate chip scones arrived at our door the next morning, courtesy of the bungalow's gracious owner. I love scones. Scones and coffee. The country. It was all just right. The morning was a misty one, and the pounding rain overnight had melted most all of the snow. We hoped that yesterday's deer would return, but no such luck. We found ourselves in the hot tub during nap time again, though. The cool mist on our faces, the warm water covering everything else. The air smelled fresh and sweet. The wind was stirring up the lavender plants and carrying the scent to us. In the foreground, a flag, with an image of the earth on it, waved and flapped. Across the road four eagles were diving for food. Above us ravens were riding the thermals. Few words were exchanged, nature had pulled us in. A lunch of leftovers, and it was time to pack up. Ben, seeming to be in the right place at the right time, was greeted by wild turkeys while loading up the truck.
As we drove down the long, winding, now muddy driveway, I felt sort of sad to have to leave this place. There was just something special about it. As we got out of the filthy snow stained and mud covered truck parked in our garage, I couldn't help but smile...evidence of the country...and we liked it.
1 comment:
All I had to do was read your wonderful story and get an overwhelming feeling like I want to be there, NOW! Your stories are so descriptive and easliy make one feel as if they are right there with you. Your such a talented writer. I think this is your calling - short story writing. Truly!
Love Mom Brenda
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you. Please leave a quick note so I know you stopped by!