Fall. It's a season of change.To me, the most dramatic of seasons. The line between hot summer days and cold winter nights. Typically, Fall has been one of my least favorite seasons - mostly because of what it brings, I think - snow, bitter cold, darkness. None of which I particularly enjoy.
But as time has gone on, I feel a shift in attitude. Maybe it has to do with being married to a man who has always loved the season, or maybe it has to do with living in a different area of the country than I grew up in, or maybe it has to do with the fact that my babies were born in Fall, or maybe it has to do with a different perspective on life. One that probably comes with age. I'm not really sure it's any one specific thing, but I've decided that I like Fall...it's not so bad after all. The crispness in the air can be invigorating.The colors are gorgeous. The food is delicious (although, I could probably make this argument with any season!).
There's harvest. Besides being able to go pick a Washington apple direct from the tree, there's pears, cranberries, squash of all kinds, pumpkins and fresh root vegetables direct from my garden to the kitchen table.
There's marigolds, ones that highlight the colors of the season, that survived several frosts before withering away into piles of black mush.
There's family fun at the orchard. When we first moved here, I remember going to the orchards and seeing couples with their young kids having a blast. I hoped that would be us someday. And now it is. A real blessing!
There's mountains and gorgeous countryside. Fog lifting and colors coming into sight.
And this barn...Is this not the most beautiful barn? It's like a fairy tale barn. I feel like Juliet should be poking her head out of the top window of the turret looking down at Romeo who awaits on a white horse to whisk her away through the colorful palette of trees into the bright blue sky! (Ok, that might be getting a little carried away, but,Wow!)
There's leaves. Leaves to roll in, walk through, play with, examine...
And the wind... it's an essential Fall ingredient. How I wish I could embrace changes like this... hands up almost as to surrender, and just let the wind blow through your hair.
Gratitude:
A little take away from a Bible study the other day: "Change is almost always perceived as a loss". To me, it was a perfect explanation why we are often so resistant to change. And how if I focus on what I gain, change isn't such a bad thing. Just like transitioning from summer to fall.
Cranberries - a Costco sized bag.
A new recipe book from my mom with a note that says "from one cranberry lover to another", and how I can't wait to try every recipe, literally.
The two little faces that smile at me EVERY morning, when I walk into their room to get them up.
A husband who calls me five minutes after we just hung up to tell me that he really does love me.
After lunch walks with Kody, Tanner, and Onyx and how we're all quiet as we just take in the sights and sounds and feel the cool air rush across our cheeks.
Four friends, near and far, all with baby boys on the way between now and April.
Tanner & Kody eating at the same time we do and eating almost all the same food.
Buying milk instead of formula.
How I really am enjoying fall this year.
2 comments:
Wonderful story Rachelle!Love the pictures of your family and the barns are beautiful. Everything seems peaceful. There are many things to appreciate in the fall season. It snowed here today and I wasn't quite ready for that because I want the beautiful fall days to stay for awhile yet.Each season brings great things to be thankful for.
Love,
Mom Brenda
Hello Rachelle and Ben
Did you get my email of October 25? Sorry it took me so long to send it out.
Love reading your blog about your growing family. Not much else here except the Packers are 11-0 yippee and golf is over (sad face).
Take care.
Patrick Mattson
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you. Please leave a quick note so I know you stopped by!