Background

Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Little Buddy

These last few days, while we have been missing one whole level of living space in our house, I have come to realize just how smart our dog really is. Poor Onyx has been moping around, not eating her food, wimpering and wining, and following me everywhere. If I move, she moves. If I sit down, she lays on my feet as if she's telling me I can't get up without her knowing. If I'm standing, she comes and leans against my leg, as if she's holding me upright. I put her front paws on my lap and she stuck her head in my arm pit, like she was shielding herself from the rest of the world. I also found her sleeping on the landing, curled up into the smallest ball she could possibly get herself into, with her front paw over her eyes. I couldn't figure out her strange behavior, and then it finally dawned on me that she must know that her house is disrupted. She doesn't know where to go. She has lost two of her favorite places to hang out (including the bed she is not supposed to be on, but loves oh so much). She is "confined" to the same areas we are.

I never realized how much of life our dog does with us. She is truly effected by so many of the same things we are. Who would've ever thought that ripping out some carpet and removing some drywall would send her into "doggy depression"? Her smarts really amaze me - especially considering that this is the same girl that regularly trips up the stairs! But hey, I guess we all have our moments, right?!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Sorry to hear about Onyx's doggie depression! We need to get a big, group sized tanning bed that is canine friendly. Surely a bit of sun would help us perk up a bit!

Holly said...

Lindsey, our dog, doesn't like this extreme cold. Yesterday and today we woke up to minus 22.(actual temperature). It has been in the minus range for a number of days. I don't want to keep count of the days. She lays on the couch with her head faced outside all day. We have been having really sunny days with the extreme cold, so she is fooled with the weather. We go for a walk everyday around the cemetery, but on the coldest days I have tried to skip it. She begs to go outside by "talking" to me. It is the funniest sounds coming out of her. It is not barking, it's like "whine humming." I have to give in and get bundled up to take her for a short and fast walk. She sets the pace. Often times she begins to limp and we turn around and head home. This weekend is our rebirth into warmer temperatures, 20 degrees! I hope we don't revisit the minus stuff until next year. Holly, Mom

Craig and Bethany said...

Haha, poor baby! She is such a little kiddie. Love that dog!

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a quick note so I know you stopped by!