Recently I've been very impressed with the way a few things are done here in WA. For example, our election ballots arrived via the US mail. We filled out our ballots in the comfort of our own home and then dropped them in an "official ballot drop box" close to our house. No long lines to stand in, no irritated people to deal with, and not even any postage to be paid!
The next neat thing that happened was that Ben and I both received a letter from the Department of Licensing telling us that we could renew our driver's licenses online! I couldn't believe it. But we tried it and it really works! Just a few questions to answer, a credit card number to enter, and voila! About a week later your license arrives in the mail and is good for 5 more years.
And the most recent cool thing... Well this probably isn't specific to our area, but I still thought it was cool. I was able to do an online search of my local library to see if they had a book I was looking for. My library didn't have it, but one of the others in the County did, so I clicked a button that said "place hold". I was able to place the book I wanted on hold and request to pick it up at the library closest to my house when it became available. Yesterday I received an email telling me my book was waiting for me at my library. When I went to pick it up, I was literally inside the building for about 45 seconds. How awesome!!
These modern conveniences sure do spoil us, but they are so nice!
4 comments:
I love, love the library and the convenience of their website. Watch out library - Rachelle's onto you. Pretty soon you'll have stacks of books in the hold shelves and those librarians will have sore arms and wonder who in the heck "Wagner, R" is... ;)
Okay, I've experienced and love the first two, but the library thing is super awesome! I'll have to try it!
I do the library thing all the time, they call me when the books come in I think they have our number on speed dial. It's great for the commute. I was able to renew my license online here in Illinois too.
Jean
I think I better use the computer for more stuff. I'm still operate the old fashion way. Drive vehicle, walk in building, search, ask questions, get no answer and drive to next building to repeat. The good thing about the old fashion way, is that I get out of the house and talk to people. Holly
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you. Please leave a quick note so I know you stopped by!